ezQuake Manual - QuakeWorld etiquette
(automatic conversion from internal help - last edited Tue 07-Oct-2003)
QWers play their game for one single reason: fun. If someone takes away the fun by disturbing them with improper behaviour on a server they are sure to react very annoyed and angry. Also most of the QWers are playing this game for several years now and are also older than most other online players. Thus our community is more mature than those of most other popular online games and expects the same maturity from new players. Over the years some rules of correct and polite behaviour have developed among the QW community which everyone should try to follow if he is interested in having people to play with.
- The most simple rule of all is to behave nice. If you want people to treat you well you have to tread them in a polite manner as well. Most QWers are willing to help you if you have a problem but don’t keep bugging them with question when they want to play. Wait until they are finished.
- Don’t block servers. In some areas good servers are very rare and thus blocking them for “testing” or just idling is not very much appreciated. If two people want to play a duel let them play it and ask if you can afterwards.
- Don’t be annoyed when you as a newbie are asked to spectate a game. Learn by watching and ask the l33t0rs if you can join in when they are finished. You can also ask where you could find people of your skill to play with.
- Constant swearing and shouting at people on servers will give you a bad name. Don’t wish someone luck before a game and complain about his luck afterwards, this will also make you look bad.
- League games are always more important than practices. Leave a server when it is really needed. Usually the server will be free again after the game.
- It is a sign of sportmanship to wish your opponent fun or good luck before a game and also to virtually “shake hands” after a game by saying good game or well played.
- Female players are very likely not the only women you will ever meet in your life and do not play for other reasons than anyone else does, so leave them playing and don’t bug them about pictures, adresses, age etc…
- Fakenicking/aliasing is not very popular either. There is only one valid reason not to play under your real nick: you are among the top ten players in the world and don’t want to be annoyed by “fans” all the time. Always reveal your real nick when asked to.
- Never upload demos of people you have not asked for permission before.
- Cheating is not an option!
Of course the QW community has its fair share of competition and thus rivalry, but always remember: Quake is a gentlemen sport.